1. Determine if you reside in Connecticut's 5th Congressional District

Congressional courtesy, ethics rules, and propriety dictate that each Member of Congress has the honor and responsibility to serve his or her own constituents. If you are not sure which Congressional district you live in, please visit the House of Representatives website to find your representative.

2. Determine if your issue is under the jurisdiction of a federal agency

As a federal office, we are able to work with federal agencies on behalf of constituents (those who live in our district). We cannot assist those represented by another US Representative. Above all, we cannot assist with state or legal issues.

What my office can do:

  • Help you communicate with federal agencies (Internal Revenue Service, Social Security Administration, Veterans Administration, etc.)
  • Request information or a status report on your case
  • Submit an inquiry with a federal agency on your behalf
  • Help you obtain basic information from a federal agency

What my office cannot do:

  • Force a federal agency to act in your favor or speed up your case
  • Provide legal advice or recommend an attorney
  • Overturn or influence matters involving private businesses
  • Intervene with state issues. My office cannot overturn or influence matters under the jurisdiction of local or state governments. If your issue involves state or municipal agencies, please contact your state legislators or contact the state agency directly. The Governor of Connecticut’s office may also be able to help you with state issues.
  • Intervene with judicial issues. My office cannot legally get involved with pending litigation, including questions about criminal trials or imprisonment, child custody issues, deportation proceedings and civil lawsuits. My office cannot overturn or in any way influence a court’s decision.

If you are uncertain, please call (860)-223-8412 and a member of my staff will be happy to assist you. If your particular issue does not fall under the jurisdiction of a federal agency, my staff will try to direct you to the appropriate non-federal agency or resources that may be helpful.

3. Fill out a casework privacy release form

Before my staff can advocate on your behalf, we need your permission. Please see the Authorization Forms below:

Authorization Form

General Privacy Release Form
Immigration Privacy Release Form

The General Privacy Release Form must be completed in its entirety with a wet signature (printed and signed). The Immigration Privacy Release Form must be printed and signed.

Please Note: The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case. 

We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request.